Saturday, May 09, 2009

Friday Five - A bug's life

This week's Friday Five is a magical mystery tour through God's garden of creepy crawlies!

1. Ladybugs or ladybirds? Pillbugs or roly-polys? Jesus bugs or water skeeters? Any other interesting regional or familial name variations?
Ladybug, as in "Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home." I was blown away to learn that what we called Locusts where I grew up are called cicadas pretty much every where else, and that locusts are really big, bright colored grasshoppers.

2. Stomp on spiders, carry them outside, or peacefully co-exist?
It depends on the variety. Black widows die on sight. Housekeepers (Grove spiders?) can stay in the house as long as they stay out of my sight - it's just that they're so darn big! Most others I can co-exist with.

3. Favorite insect?
Crickets. They sing beautifully and they're considered to be good luck in some cultures. Besides, who doesn't love Jiminy?

4. Least favorite?
Anything buzzy-bitey like bees. I'm Allergic. But when I find one in the house I catch it in a glass or jar and take it outside. It's not the bee's fault I'm allergic.

5. Got any good bug stories to share?
I went to seminary in Indiana. Indiana Farmers had imported some South American ladybugs to help control whatever it is ladybugs eat, not realizing that this variety of ladybug hibernates in caves in the winter. There aren't a lot of caves in Indiana. But our apartment had 20 foot cathedral ceilings and ladybugs thought it was a cave. Ladybugs found their way in through the teeniest cracks and crevices until there were thousands attempting to hibernate on the ceiling. Over the next few weeks ladybugs were constantly dropping dead from the ceiling, landing in everything - coffee cups, dinner plates, hair . . . and no way to get rid of them or keep them out. I know it's not their fault, but today I can live without anything that has a ladybug design on it.

Bonus question: share a poem, song, quotation, etc. about insects.
When I was little, my mother used to always tuck the blankets tight around me, so I would be "as snug as a bug in a rug."

1 comment:

John's Arts & Crafts said...

It sounds like Asian Ladybeetles! they have different migration patterns and nesting habits and they like human homes to nest in. New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:
http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/