Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday Five - Don't Call It A Comeback Edition

Parishioners pushing for carols before you digested your turkey?

Organist refusing to play Advent hymns because he/she already has them planned for Lessons & Carols?

Find yourself reading Luke and thinking of a variety of ways to tell Linus where to stick it? (Lights please.)

Then this quick and easy Friday Five is for you! And for those of you with a more positive attitude, have no fear. I am sure more sacred and reverent Friday Fives will follow.

Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....
1) dessert/cookie/family food

FRUITCAKE!

2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)

non-alchoholic sparkling cider - I don't drink so everyone I visit thinks this is the perfect choice to serve. I really don't like it, but feel like I have to be gracious . . .

3) tradition (church, family, other)

Christmas open house parties where I must make an appearance but really don't know anyone else. I'm just invited to what's really a work-related because I'm the hostess' pastor.

4) decoration

Two entries here -
Indoor decorations: Anything that sings hokey Christmas songs! Singing santas, singing reindeer. . .
Outdoor decorations: those lighted blow up giant plastic snow globes with Santa and reindeer on top.

5) gift (received or given)

Bath sets with gels, bubble bath, bath salts - all in fragrances that even the reindeer would turn up their noses at, usually received from folks who don't have any idea what else to give.

And yes, I have been guilty of this - my worst choice ever was to give a bath set to someone who had only a shower and no tub to use bath products in!

BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it.
Mom Got Run Over By A Reindeer

I know, I know.... pretty grumpy for November but why not get it out of our systems now so we are free to enjoy the rest of the festivities.

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

Fruitcake really is disgusting isn't it =) I almost put Grandma Got Run Over too.

Mary Beth said...

ugh. obligation parties. ugh.

Unknown said...

I'm with you on that song!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

As Mary Beth said...the obligation parties...painful on many levels. Is there a graceful way out? Sort of feel like the token pastor.